The village, which once held the name of "La Roque - Papalhonac", is situated in a valley. Laroque is found on a map of Sylvanès circa until 1151. Joined to the commune of Fayet in 1785, having belonged to the lord of Castelnau, it was later connected to Arpajon and then transformed into a barony in 1809, with André of Nougarède its benefactor. The village is located in the canton of Camarès, a Protestant enclave in Rouergue.
At the end of the 19th century, the parish of La Roque strongly requested the creation of its own, independent commune. The church was thus reconstructed and consecrated in 1862.
The region possesses mineral deposits that were periodically exploited from the Gallo-Roman period up until the end of the 20th century, as well as sheet fabrics and materials used by the army.
the various occupants of La Roque include William of La Roque, in 1140, who made a donation to the nearby Sylvanès abbey and the families of Bazy, d'Austruy (Raymond, advisor to the bishop of Rodez, was prior of La Roque in 1661), d'Aygua and de Fabry (owners of Méjanel and the Blancard Mill, counselors to the Parliament of Toulouse) until the end of the 17th century.
There are traces of the Martin-Lacombe Family, which appears to have owned the castle for nearly three centuries beginning in the 17th century, as noted in the parish registers (Cénomes - La Roque), and occupied three different posts (consul of Brusque in 1728, merchant-trafficker, lawyer…).
Here is a Martin-Lacombe family anecdote: In 1797, one of the men proved his courage and devotion confronted with the national police who had just come to enforce the law against refractory priests, in this case the abbey Jean-Baptiste Barthe. Forewarned, Barthe left the celebratory mass table where he was working, removed his sacred garments, quickly put on his clogs and headed out to the castle There, he was immediately face to face with the police on horseback, so he hurried into a hiding place and covered himself with a large quantity of wool. Monsieur Martin-Lacombe ordered the public forces to enter and search the premises, which they did in detailed fashion, going so far as to stick their swords into the straw where Barthe was hidden, but left empty-handed… This hiding-place, a passage that links all three levels of the castle, exists to this day.
Traduit en anglais par G.J. Traduction.